Mu Chapter History
A group of students was organized by alumni of Alpha Sigma Phi living in the Seattle Area to seek a charter in Alpha Sigma Phi. On January 8, 1912, they submitted their petition for a charter. The petition was approved and the chapter was installed on May 20, 1912, by Carl B. Croson, Beta ’11. Three undergraduate members were on hand at the opening of college in the fall of 1914. The actives teamed up with alumni to pledge 23 men. From the 1950s to the mid-1990s, Mu Chapter had a perennially large and strong undergraduate membership, and had the second largest roster of any chapter in the fraternity.
Mu Chapter’s roster of 1,934 members, through January 2005, is the largest of any chapter of Alpha Sigma Phi other than Alpha Chapter. The chapter has been active continuously since 1912, placing it third behind Zeta and Iota Chapters in length of continuous chapter operations.
The first chapter house was at 5022 University Blvd., Seattle. The chapter’s second house was at 19th Avenue and 47th Street, NE, Seattle. In 1920, Mu Chapter moved into its house at 4554 19th Street, NE, Seattle, the first house at the University constructed specifically for use as a fraternity chapter house.
The chapter won the Grand Senior President’s Awards in 1980, 1982, 1984, and 1986. It also won the Alpha Gamma Upsilon Award in 1970, 1974, and 1976. The Mu Chapter publication is The Musings. In 1990, the chapter completed a $300,000 renovation and remodeling project. A scholarship fund in memory of Tom Tift was administered for many years by the alumni association for the undergraduate members. In the 1990s, the Tift Scholarship fund, together with endowment funds created by Jack Merrill, Mu ’39, and others, was placed under the administration of the Alpha Sigma Phi Educational Foundation.